Thursday, July 8, 2010

This Tornado Loves You!

And now for a day in the life of a super awesome filmmaker...

I woke up yesterday morning at 6:45AM to another wildly hot day. Already. Ate breakfast parfait of blueberries and yogurt. At 8AM, I loaded up my packed-the-night-before gear into the non-air-conditioned Jetta and drove down to the Starbucks in the John Hancock Building. I had an empty bag of Verona Roast to trade in for a tall coffee. I asked them to ice it, which seemed to be like asking for a cup of the boss's gem stones because they were really nervous about giving me this. What is the big deal? Is ice not frozen water that comes from your tap, basically free?? Don't worry, I charmed those baristas, got the icee and got on 93 going North: New Hampshire, yet again.

This time it was slated to be a two hour drive up to Newport where Bob Teschek, the director of the 50th Mt Washington Road Race, lives. Google maps were pretty right on and I found myself saying Good Morning to Bob at 10AM. We set up in the kitchen of his lovely secluded home "out in the sticks" (I love kitchens, by the way) and we had a conversation. I was most curious about Bob's experience with the early races in the 60s and how he transitioned from runner to director in 1982, taking over for the BAA and Jock Semple. Bob was great: informative and personable. He even dug out some old photos and plaques to re-photograph. Man, I hope they turn out for the film. VERY awesome. A pic from the 1937 race! So cool.

I let Bob get back to his Wednesday at Noon and barreled down 89 to the state capitol (Concord, for those of you playing at home). My plan for this area was to grab lunch in the AC to quell the anger rising from hunger and hotness (which I totally DID do and my sandwich was delicious), to check in with the State Library to see if they had any artifacts pertaining to my topic (I did this, too-- shout outs to Donna who looked things up on computer AND card catalog for me), and to potentially find a historian with whom I could chat about Mt Washington and the settling of New Hampshire (which I totally forgot to do-- funny how that happens).

Hopped back into the HOT Jetta and blasted down 93 back in to South Boston to meet up with Harpoon Helps for Greater Boston Food Bank fun. Volunteered in the sweltery heat of the new Yawkey-funded GBFB sorting cans and boxes and determining what is still good for consumption. My two stations were Water and Pet Food. I had one can of Alpo the whole time, but lots of boxes of Poland Spring, Perrier and the like. I also noticed some mini cans (think beach Cokes you're always seeing come June) of something called Aloe Juice. Has anyone heard of this? Or drank it before? What does it taste like?? After my 4th of July weekend, I have Aloe on the brain... is Aloe Juice really After Sun for the tongue? Hmmm.

After this long day, most people were exclaiming about how they couldn't wait to toast frozen margaritas and put their feet up. But on long days like this, I find my running is at its peak. So I got home at 8:15PM and laced up the Mizunos. Bob Teschek had given me a sweet MWRR Race Crew t-shirt that I wore, not just because it's cool but also cause it's white, and the sun was about down here on the East Coast. This would prove to just be a quick 5k, I kind of haven't run in ages (the heat is my excuse right now). But as history has taught me, long days really give me the edge on a run and I kicked it out nicely.

Thus I ended my day completely drenched in the day's humidity and happiness at about 9:30PM. Lots of ice water (the ice was from home this time-- so no dirty looks or awkward withholding...starbucks...). Today is another day! And then there's tomorrow!

ps- this tornado loves you

and this is probably why I do not have my own reality tv show...

1 comment:

double-d Mountain runner said...

Looking forward to seeing what Bob said...Hey, I can't remember if I mentioned but I never checked out the old issues of the "Mountain Ear". I'm told they have every issue tucked away in the basement of whatever building they are housed in. I never followed-up tracking them down. Could be some interesting stuff in there.

Post a Comment